Directorate of Family Welfare and Preventive Medicine.
Since time immemorial man has been striving to overcome morbidity and mortality by way of adopting various control measure with an objective to eliminate and eradicate various diseases. In the state of Tripura endeavors have been taken to alleviate the suffering of people from diseases by rendering preventive, promotive and curative health care services.
Date/Year of Establishment:-
This department started its sincere services widely since its inclusion with the Govt. of India on 15th October, 1949 in the name of Department of Health, Govt. of Tripura. On 27 January ,1999 the Health & FW Department has established another Directorate in the name of Directorate of Family Welfare and Preventive Medicine in addition to Directorate of Health Services.
This Directorate has the administrative control over all the 8 establishments of the Chief Medical Officers, 18 Community Health Centres, 84 Primary Health Centres and 992 Health Sub-Centres besides the AYUSH dispensaries.
- To ensure adequate, qualitative, preventive & curative health care to people of the State.
- To ensure health care services to all particularly to the disadvantaged groups like scheduled tribes, scheduled castes & back ward classes.
- To provide affordable quality healthcare to the people of the State, not only through the allopathic systems of medicine but also through the homeopathic & ayurvedic systems.
- To ensure greater access to primary health care services by bringing health institutions at the door steps of people as possible, particularly in the underserved & backward areas.
- To ensure Population Stabilization.
- To prevent as well as control of other communicable & non-communicable diseases under National Health Programmes.
- To reduce maternal, neo-natal & infant mortality rates.
- To improve hospital services at the primary, secondary & tertiary levels in terms of infrastructure, drugs & personnel.
- To impart training to doctors, nurses & other paramedical staff to upgrade their skills & knowledge to improve quality health care in the state and improve medical education in the State.
- To improve Adolescent Health Care.
- To facilitate provision of antenatal intra natal & post natal services to women.
- To facilitate provision of family planning services
- Implementation of Immunization Program.
- Surveillance of Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- Implementation of PC & PNDT (Pre conception & Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act 1994 Prevention of Sex Selection) and MTP (Medical Termination of Pregnancy) Act.
- To implement activities under different communicable and non-communicable disease control under National Health programmes
- To monitor performance and quality of family welfare & all other activities
- To facilitate provision of Adolescent Health Services in the state
- Capacity Building to update knowledge & skills of various categories of health functionaries.
- To Implement Food Safety and Standard Act and strengthening of the Food Laboratories.