About Department & Directorate
With a view to separate the medical education chapter from the Directorate of Health Services, this directorate was bifurcated and a new directorate namely Directorate of Medical Education was set up. This new Directorate (Directorate of Medical Education) started functioning w.e.f. 15.10.2011 and is accommodated in the 2nd floor of Tripura State AIDS Control Society building located opposite to IGM Hospital (old gate). This directorate will however, shift soon to the 2nd floor of Dr.P.B. Das Memorial Diagnostic Center at Bidur Karta Chowmohani, Agartala.
Who is Who
Prof. Basudev Bhattacharya is the Director of Medical Education and Dr. J.K. Dev Varma is the OSD, Directorate of Medical Education.
Organizational Set up
This new directorate is under the administrative control of the Health & Family Welfare Department, Government of Tripura headed by the Secretary to the Govt. of Tripura, Health & Family Welfare Department.Prof. Basudev Bhattacharya is the Director and head of this Directorate. Dr. J.K. Dev Varma, Addl. Director of Health Services has been deputed to this Directorate and functions as OSD.There are a few Medical and Para-Medical Institutions both in public sector and private section in the State, of which are under supervision of this Directorate.
List of Medical & Para-medical Institutions (in public sector and private sector) :
(details including seat capacity etc. is given in Annexure – I)
- Agartala Govt. Medical College with GBP Hospital as its teaching Hospital, Agartala (Government Institution)
- Tripura Medical College with Dr. BRAM Hospital as its teaching Hospital, Hapania, West Tripura (Run by a Society)
There is only 1 (one) Pharmacy Institute in the name Regional Institute of Pharmaceutical Science Technology (RIPSAT), Abhoynagar, Agartala imparting both Diploma & Degree courses. (Government Institution)
- At Hapania under West Tripura a PPP model Para-medical Institute by the name of “Tripura Institute of Para-Medical Sciences was establish a few years back and is imparting para-medical and Nursing courses there. 35% of the available seats in each course is reserved for the State Govt (PPL Model Institute)
- Tripura College of Nursing, located in the Tripura Medical College complex at Hapania under which the Tripura is imparting B.Sc. Nursing course (Run by the same society under which the Tripura Medical College is running)
- The Institute of Nursing Science at Durjoynagar is imparting Post Basis B.Sc (Nursing) and B.Sc Nursing course also, apart from GNM course (Private Institution)
- Nurses Training Institute is imparting GNM Course to female students only, located at IGM Hospital complex, Agartala (Government Institute)
- Dr. BRAM Nursing School is also imparting GNM course for male students only, which is house near IGM Hospital in the old Music College building (Government Institute)
- The ILS Nursing Institute is imparting GNM Course to both male and female students (Private Institute)
- Tripureswari School of Nursing under West Tripura District is imparting GNM course (Private Institute)
- ANM School for female candidates at T.S.Hospital complex, Udaipur imparting ANM course (Government Institute)
- ANM School for female candidates at RGM Hospital complex, Kailasahar imparting ANM course (Government Institute)
MPW Training Institute :
- There is only 1 (one) MPW training Institute for male Candidates located in the CMO (West) office complex